Have you lost one of your teeth or even all of your teeth but can’t afford the full dental implant option? Or don’t have enough bone for a full-sized implant to be placed in your mouth? There is no need to worry because a solution is open – Mini Dental Implants
This article gives you better insight into all you need to know about mini dental implants and if they are a good fit for you. Keep reading to find out more.
What Are Mini Dental Implants?
Mini dental implants are small implants designed to solve the issues associated with either traditional or standard dental implants. The mini dental implants are less painful and don’t involve any process of bone grafting or several surgeries.
A mini dental implant is a great choice for those with fewer teeth or smaller mouths. People with missing premolars or teeth in small spaces can use mini dental implants. Also, the lower front of the upper lateral incisors can be replaced with the lateral incisors. They don’t need to be fully immersed in your jawbone.
A mini dental implant is a one-piece screw of 3mm (millimeters) diameter or less. It is screwed directly into your jawbone. It is a titanium fixture that acts like the root of your tooth with a retaining element; the retaining element keeps the denture secure so that engaging in activities involving the mouth can do done comfortably.
Advantages of Mini Dental Implants
- They are less expensive: The mini dental implants are less expensive than the standard and conventional dental implants.
- They are less invasive surgery: This means that the mini dental implants can be placed using a localised anesthetic; therefore, they are less invasive than traditional dental implants.
- Mini dental implants have fast recovery time: You have a quicker recovery, unlike the traditional method.
- Less jawbone intensity is required: Traditional dental implants require a certain amount of bone mass for support, while the mini implants are smaller and require no jawbone mass. So, if you’re suffering from bone loss, the mini dental implants are suited for you.
- Mini implants fit into small openings: Another great advantage of the mini implant is that they can fit into narrow openings due to their small size.
- They are flexible: The mini dental implants allow your teeth and jaw to maintain their previous placement and size.
- They are long-lasting: The mini dental implants are more permanent than dentures or bridges.
- The procedure is less painful: Both placement and repair of the mini implant are less painful when compared to traditional dental implants.
Disadvantages of Mini Dental Implants
- They are not so stable: They are less stable than traditional dental implants.
- Mini implants are fragile: They are also not good options for people who grind their teeth. They are prone to damage more quickly than traditional dental implants.
- They are only suitable for people with healthy jawbone: Mini dental implants do not need much bone material, but a healthy jawbone is still a requisite.
Mini Dental Implant For Dentures
The mini dental implant dentures are used over the adhesive dentures because of how secure and comfortable they are. They allow for more natural use of the teeth for things like eating, chewing, and biting.
While using traditional removable dentures, you have a fear of it coming out when you’re in public. You also need to take them out and clean them constantly, but mini dental implants are not so. The mini dental implants are a long-term solution to improve oral health with no fear and no need to bring out and clean.
You can use the mini dental implant to restore your teeth’ look and smile. You can also use it to improve your smile. However, the mini dental implant is good for people who have one or more issues with their jaws, such as accidents, not enough bone mass in the jaw, or a receding jaw bone.
Mini Dental Implants vs Dental Implants
A lot of options exist when interested in replacing your lost tooth. These options include dental implants, dentures, and bridges. In the dental implants, you can go with the standard dental implants or the traditional dental implants, or the mini dental implants. Though, there are differences between the kinds of dental implants.
The mini dental implants do not require bone grafting, unlike the standard dental implant. The standard dental implants need to be embedded fully into the jawbone, which is not done in the mini dental implants.
As a patient with jawbone issues, you are better advised to go with the mini dental implants. Are you aware that anytime you delay replacing your missing tooth, you’re increasing the chances of bone tissue loss? As it keeps deteriorating, you slowly evade being eligible for the standard dental implant.
The two types of tooth implants Melbourne can last for a very long time. They also look similar and are a great complement to your natural teeth. There is a great chance that nobody will know that you had an implant, whether a standard or mini dental implant, as it goes well with your natural teeth.
Mini Dental Implant Procedure
If you’re considering a mini dental procedure, you need to understand the process. Below are the processes involved in the mini dental implant;
- Your dentist uses a local anesthetic on the surgical site and nearby areas. You will only feel a little sting
- Your dentist then drills a small hole into your jaw to expose the bones. The incision made by the doctor is small and not as wide as that for the traditional dental implants.
- An opening of 3 mm or less is created in the bone for the implant. Place the dental impact into the hole.
- Ensure that you tighten and secure it with the implant post.
- The replacement tooth is attached to the post.
From the above, you’ll discover that there are no stitches or sutures associated with mini dental implants.
Mini Dental Implant Cost Australia
Your average mini dental implant cost in Australia is between $1,500-$2,500. So far, the mini dental implant is the cheapest dental implant. The cost of the mini dental implant depends on your dental issues and needs but bear in mind that it costs half or a quarter of the traditional dental implants.
What Do Mini Dental Implants Look Like?
Mini dental implants have a similar structure to regular implants. However, they are smaller in size. These dental implants are made of a single piece of 3mm diameter (or less) screw with a bell-shaped end that projects from the jawbone.
A mini implant can be easily installed through less-invasive techniques. It is also less painful compared to traditional dental implants.
The mini dental implant is more suitable for people with less jawbone mass due to its small size.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does a Mini Dental Implant Last?
A mini dental implant can last as long as regular implants. With proper care, the mini dental implants can last for years. Ensure you visit an experienced implant dentist to install the implants for you.
Are Mini Dental Implants Worth It?
Yes, they are worth it. Mini dental implants are the best option for people with bone issues, who can’t withstand the rigorous process of standard dental implants, and want to cut costs for dental implant options.
Do Mini Dental Implants Hurt?
When compared to the other dental implants, the mini dental implants are less painful. A local anesthetic is used to numb the surgical site and the surrounding areas, thereby giving you no pain. However, after the implant placement, you feel the pain.
How Do You Care For Your Mini Dental Implants?
The mini dental implant should be taken care of like your natural teeth. There is no need to do anything differently. Just brush and floss daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush after the procedure. Never forget to get regular checkups to maintain your oral health.
Without proper care, your mini dental implants will wear down. Good hygiene is needed when it comes to your dental implants. It would help if you brushed your teeth, flossed, and regularly make a trip to your dentist to ensure that your mini implants stay intact.
If you take good care of your mini dental implants, they could last for a long time, i.e. ten years.
There are many dental clinics in Australia. However, it is advisable to visit a trusted clinic like Glenferrie Dental Clinic to handle your dental treatments. Glenferrie’s best dentists will carefully examine you and give you the right treatment you need. They will also offer expert advice on maintaining good dental hygiene. Feel free to contact us now to book an appointment for your implant treatment.